What is Collaborative Marketing? (And Why You Need to Know)
If your marketing isn’t working for you anymore (or never really did), there’s ANOTHER way to do it…
What is Collaborative Marketing? ((and why you need to know))
Well, let’s break down the two phrases in this concept first, shall we?
Collaboration = “the action of working with someone to produce or create something.”
Marketing = “the action or business of promoting and selling products or services.”
Collaborative Marketing is when you combine the power of two or more people (or businesses) to gain visibility, leads, influence, clients, and/or customers.
It’s a COMBINED effort.
AND it’s a win-win-win.
Because when Collaborative Marketing is done purposefully (strategically AND authentically) not only do the humans INSIDE the collaboration win but so do their audiences.
Win for one person.
Win for the other person.
Win for their audience.
Annnd there are different types to play with…
Collaborative Marketing can include more long-term types of collaborations, like affiliates, partnerships, referral circles, guest coaching, co-hosting, etc.
AND/OR short-term types of collaborations, like newsletter swaps, Instagram lives, interviews, guest posting, being a guest on a podcast, being a guest expert in a group, etc.
((PLUS both long-term and short-term types have the potential of helping you to increase your SEO rankings. BONUS WIN 🎉)
Here are two examples from my business:
Long term collaboration:
I have a long-term collaborative marketing strategy set up for my DIY SEO Course by the way of affiliate marketing. The humans that choose to become an affiliate recommend and tell their audience about my online course, and then they get a percentage of the sale when someone makes a purchase.
- The other person wins because they’re making money off of something they genuinely think is helpful.
- I win because I get a new student in my DIY SEO Course.
- The student wins because they find a DIY SEO course that will help their website & content get found on Google.
Short term collaboration:
One of my fav ways to collaborate in the short term is by teaming up with podcast hosts by being a guest on their podcast.
- The other person wins because they get content for their podcast and get to share value with their audience.
- I win because I get my business, offerings, and expertise showcased to a new audience.
- The podcast listeners win because they get helpful and valuable content to enjoy, and possibly even a suggestion for a solution they’ve been needing.
Collaborative Marketing is also insanely flexible, which is what makes it so powerful across the board.
YOU get to decide:
- WHO you want to collaborate with (or at least pitch/ask)
- WHAT the value of the collab is for each person and the respective audience(s)
- HOW the collaboration takes place (writing, speaking, video, recording, etc) – there are literally options for everyone
- WHEN you want to do it and for how long (Is it one time or is it reoccurring/long-term?)
- WHERE the collaboration will take place (Which platform will you utilize? Can you repurpose?)
There really are no rules or “box” that a collaboration has to fit into.
That’s what makes them such a potent & unique aspect of a marketing plan.
And that’s what I love about them.
There are best practices, but more on that another day 😉
Where to start with collaborative marketing?
The first place to start when it comes to harnessing collaborations in your marketing is sitting down and asking yourself:
- How do you WANT to connect with your people?
- How do you WANT to market?
Because YOU get to decide.
I choose to be a guest on podcasts because I genuinely love it and it lights me the F up.
If I didn’t enjoy it, I wouldn’t do it.
YOU get to decide how you grow your business because there isn’t only one way. I promise.
Why does this all matter to you?
Because if what you’re doing for marketing isn’t working for you anymore (or never really has) then there’s ALWAYS another way.
If you don’t want to depend on Instagram, reels, and the algorithm, you don’t have to.
If you don’t want to go live and talk about your offers every week, you don’t have to.
If you don’t want to write 1500 word blog posts on your website all the time, you don’t have to.
But you do have to find SOME way to market your business.
And that’s why I suggest exploring Collaborative Marketing…
Because it might just be the piece you’re missing in your marketing plan.
It’s flexible enough to fit together with YOU, uniquely.
And the potency of the collaboration actually REQUIRES you to be authentic AF.
And it’s through us marketing in a way that’s authentic, is when we find the path of least resistance (aka this shit starts to become fun & easy).
Want to learn more about Magnetic Collaborations, and how you can start implementing them into your marketing in a way that makes sense for YOU, your business, and your energy?
(so you can FINALLY drop the shit that isn’t working…)